Tourism continues to experience growth and deepening diversification thus becoming one of the fastest growing economic sectors in the world. Tourism in Zimbabwe is recognised as a low hanging fruit, contributing 7.2% to the Gross Domestic Product. The sector is in an expansion drive and seeks to diversify the tourism product base by extending investments across the country. Hence, the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority is calling for investments in the following tourism sub-sectors:
• Accommodation (hotels and lodges, safari camps)
• Conference facilities
• Theme parks
• Water sports
• Cable cars
To support your investment, the Government of Zimbabwe has put in a number of incentives which you can take advantage of and these include but not limited to:
1) Duty Rebates
SI 50 of 2006 – rebate on duty of capital equipment for use in the Tourism Development Zones. The TDZ areas include
• Beitbridge/ Shashe/ Limpopo and surroundings
• Gonarezhou (GLTP)/ Chiredzi and surroundings
• Great Zimbabwe National Monument/ Lake Mtirikwi and surroundings.
• Lake Chivero and Manyame
• Rhodes Matopo area & Surroundings
• Kariba – Zambezi Valley
• Mudzi & Environs
• Eastern Highlands
SI 276 of 2019 Safari vehicles and Tour Buses
• Suspension of duty on specified motor vehicles imported by safari operators registered with ZTA and the TBCZ.
Expiry date 31 December 2021
• Suspension of duty on specified buses( 8-55 seater including the driver) imported by tour operators
Expiry date 31 December 2020
SI 279 of 2019 Capital Goods – rebate of duty in respect of:
(a) New capital equipment for—
(iii) Renovation of hotels and restaurants within hotels;
(b) Boat equipment and other goods imported or taken out of bond; for the exclusive use in the tourism business by tourism operators registered with the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority and the Zimbabwe Council of Tourism.
Expiry Date 31 December 2023
2) Tax breaks in the Tourism Development Zones
3) Tax exemption for investment in the Victoria Falls Tourism Special Economic Zone.